template

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Ready or not, here comes transplant

I've been thinking about The Princess Bride. "Let me splain. No, stoo much. Let me sum up."

Wednesday, September 26 - official diagnosis "renal dysplasia", "vesicoureteral reflux nephropathy", and "end stage renal disease".
Thursday, September 27 - transplant scheduled for November 28
Wednesday, October 3 - transplant rescheduled for October 31

My treasured mug
We are really excited to share this news with all of you who have walked with us up to this first milestone. It took me a few days after we heard the first scheduled date to feel happy about the delay (we had thought for many months it would be in October). One month may not seem like a lot in the grand scheme of things but 4 days a week for 6 hours every session is a lifestyle and not one one wants to prolong. A couple things helped put my thoughts in perspective. First, I asked God to help me. Second, my mother gave me a Bible bookstore mug. Now I have been known to mock Bible bookstore paraphernalia but I must tell you that I treasure it because it came from her heart and because it spoke truth directly to our circumstances. Third, my husband has met many of the other patients and parents in the dialysis unit (a 12 year old has been on 3 day a week dialysis for 10 years, received his first kidney 2 years ago and is back in dialysis. His father had to lose 40 pounds to donate his kidney and they live in Bellingham!). Their stories have reminded us that we are blessed:

1) Keith is a match and he's, in my sister-in-law's words, a bean pole.
2) We live close to the hospital.
3) We have family, friends, church, co-op, nurses, and doctors who are caring for us in so many ways.
4) I found my sense of humor at the beach (it had been on vacation there and couldn't get a ride back).

So when they called today to tell us we were scheduled in a little more than three weeks we were overjoyed. But it wasn't the change in circumstances that made me happy. God had already gifted that to me. The news today was just icing on the cake.

Not robbing a bank.




Mary Poppins was right - kites are therapeutic


2 comments:

  1. YAY YAY YAY YAY! This is such wonderful news! I'm so happy to hear that it's been bumped up a month. God is so good.

    And for the record, I did say a manly bean-pole : )

    ReplyDelete